Website BoweryFarming Bowery Farming
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About the Role:
As the Controller, you will lead the formulation of internal controls and policies, manage monthly and annual closing, work with FP&A to initiate a bottoms-up budgeting process, develop an operational cost-management strategy, and work with FP&A, HR, and Operations business leads to create tools to monitor these costs against the budget in real-time. The Controller will be responsible for building and scaling our accounting team to grow in tandem with the rapid expansion of our business.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and manage all aspects of accounting management (customer invoicing, tax forms, reporting, etc.), both internally and through third party vendors, with the goal of bringing all Accounting operations in-house
- Establish a system for forecasting, tracking and reporting all costs including variable, fixed, packaging and transportation; bridge monthly actuals to budget and forecast
- Manage a regular cadence of financial reporting to other members of senior management, the board, and lenders
- Build a system to manage invoicing and collections process with retail customers
- Formulate internal controls and policies to comply with established best practices, at both corporate and farm level
- Preparation of financial statements in compliance with GAAP guidelines and CPG practices
- Continuously review the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances
- Develop a system with the business to manage overall capital budget and individual projects from approval to commitment to spend
- Work with the supply chain team to develop comprehensive inventory management system
- Work with the technology team to design and implement a scalable ERP system for the business
- Drive labor planning and analysis, including demand forecast, labor rates, productivity improvement assumptions, attendance, and attrition
- Recruit, lead and inspire our Accounting function through high growth
Who You Are:
- You have relevant years of Accounting experience working CPG, Food or Manufacturing environment, significant experience managing an Accounting function at the Corporate Controller or Plant Controller level
- You are a result oriented leader who identifies issues/challenges and drives aggressively to resolve them to the benefit of the enterprise
- You have solid knowledge of GAAP
- You demonstrate excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closing, reporting etc.)
- You understand data analysis and forecasting
- You have extensive experience in implementation and management of ERP software systems
- You are well-organized with ability to prioritize work
- You have a collegial attitude, with proven ability to work both independently and with cross-functional teams
- You are a very good communicator
- You pay high attention to detail and have a strong problem-solving ability.
- You possessing a professional certification (e.g. CPA) is a plus
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.