At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
Bowery is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to head up the Supply Chain function ensuring customer service excellence while planning and executing to optimize our operations. Bowery’s farms are highly complex and offer customizable operations that grow, process, package and sell fresh produce utilizing high degrees of automation, precision agricultural techniques, and food safe operational processes. You’ll lead operational planning, logistics & procurement across our growing network, building processes that can scale across sales, operations, finance, product development and more as you set the plan for Bowery’s growing network of farms. You’ll oversee the successful commercial launches of new farms, new customers, new products, and new sales channels by leading a team, building tools and implementing processes that the entire company can rally around. Your days will be a mix focus between addressing daily end-to-end supply chain operational challenges, reporting on performance assessments, executing monthly planning cycles, and participating in daily / weekly / annual forecasting efforts. You will report to the Chief Supply Chain Officer and will build and lead a strong team responsible for planning, scheduling, logistics & procurement. This role is based in Bowery’s headquarters in New York City and will require travel to our farms in NJ, MD and beyond.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and lead the Planning, Logistics & Procurement teams that collaborate across departments, ensuring customer excellence & building automated processes to scale as we grow
- Work with your peers across the Operations Leadership team to balance various priorities and achieve the best overall results
- Oversee daily, weekly, and monthly production plans and growing schedules across all of Bowery’s commercial farms (including all new farms in development), balancing and understanding all inputs such as: sales needs, product mix, operational feasibility, and financial impact
- Lead weekly and monthly Sales & Operations Planning (S&OP) cycles,which including providing clear explanations of past performance gaps (or over performance) and aligning forward-looking sales and production plans
- In partnership with the Data & Analytics function, manage and expand Supply Chain KPIs, including developing reporting and analytics, setting targets, and kicking off cross functional projects to drive new results
- Participate in scenario planning to provide data driven proposals and novel solutions to operational challenges that arise
- Understand the drivers of Bowery’s grow system performance and consolidate a single operational view of what is possible in order to align the organization around hard decisions
- Prioritize and direct the scoping of new data and software technologies that will provide deeper visibility and control into our planning processes in partnership with the BoweryOS in-house software team
- Establish and quantify Bowery’s long-term and short-term distribution strategies, balancing service, cost and flexibility against a constantly evolving set of distribution needs
Who You Are:
- You have experience in supply chain roles, ideally leading planning, logistics & procurement previously
- You bring a depth of exposure to planning with real integrated data analytics and have experience with predictive & prescriptive analytics
- You are the integrator, you can liaise with the sales and farm teams to optimize our economics
- You have experience with short cycle times (Fresh experience is a plus)
- You have a passion for getting the best quality goods to the final customers (you treat each leaf of lettuce like it’s going in your own salad)
- Seeing the big picture & thinking strategically is a strength, but you are also able to execute and implement ideas
- You are detail, action-oriented and you are energized by environments where there are always more problems to solve and systems to improve than time to do it
- You have a bias for customer orientation and are comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable when plans change
- You’re able to build quick rapport & trust-based partnerships internally & externally with all teammates, vendors, and partners
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.