At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Research Scientist to focus on seedling production and plant propagation who will create strategies for efficient seedling production.
In this role you will work closely with the Plant Science and Operations teams to develop the best practices for propagating plants in Plenty’s unique vertical growing system to optimize the production of young plants.
What You’ll Do
- Develop new technology and processes with Engineering to create hardware and software associated with more efficient plant production
- Collaborate with Plant Science to determine unique strategies to grow seedlings and implement these strategies at scale
- Build and guide a team of crop scientists to explore potential new crops
- Direct and manage a research budget to make the crop physiology and plant production program effective
- Provide insight on questions regarding plant physiology across departments at Plenty
- Maintain valuable external relationships to insure Plenty stays aware of recent advances in crop physiology
What We’re Looking For
- 4+ years working in Controlled Environment Agriculture
- MS with 6 years experience; or PhD with 3 years experience
- Industry/academic experience in crop physiology or related field
- Experience designing experiments and managing others to answer scientific questions
- Experience in the greenhouse and/or indoor growing space
- Basic knowledge of hydroponic farming systems, including lighting, control systems, fluid systems etc.
- Demonstrates creative thinking around problem solving; flexibility, and comfort dealing with evolving problems
- Exceptional communication skills, self-driven, and capable of driving projects with minimal oversight
- Excited to work in a rapidly changing work environment with multiple demands.
- Experience working with engineers and operations department to translate and implement scientific findings to operations or product development
- A passion for food, committed to changing how the world grows food
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that’s better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.