At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
When you join the Bowery Farming team as a Modern Farmer you’ll get a chance to be a part of a team that produces fresh leafy greens. In this hands-on role, you’ll be responsible for maintaining the taste, quality, and freshness of our produce and assisting in the daily care of our plants.
As a fast growing company, this role will allow you the potential to learn about the business with career paths in Food Safety, Production, Quality Control, Shipping and Receiving and Farm leadership roles. If you’re up for learning quickly, thriving in a fast-paced & being flexible, apply now to see what Bowery Farming is all about!
What You’ll Do:
- Seed, transplant, harvest, and pack our crops to get ready for customer shipment
- Keep the farm, farm equipment and work areas clean and organized using the 5S methodology
- Be a leader when it comes to using personal protective equipment and adhering to workforce safety and food safety practices
- Follow standard operating procedures to ensure we’re producing amazing food
- Operate as a team and participate in improvement projects to help drive world class operations initiatives
- Work with integrated technology and operating systems to manage the farm and our plants
What You Are:
- Ability to work full-time (average 40 hours per week) on a rotating shift schedule
- Ability to work in a cold climate-controlled environment which is around 35℉
- Ability to practice safe work habits in a food safe environment at all times
- Self-starter who gets involved quickly and takes on difficult tasks with enthusiasm
- Maintains high productivity level by operating with a sense of urgency, efficiency, and effectiveness over an extended period of time
- Ability to take direction and implement changes quickly
- Work up to 4 days per week for 12 hour shifts (breaks and lunch included)
- Ability to commit to a consistent set of scheduled days, including holidays that land on your scheduled days (farm operation is 24/7, 365 days a year)
- Ability to lift and move objects up to 50 poundsMust be at least 18 years old
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.