Website Bowery Farming
About the job
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role
Bowery Farming is seeking a dynamic and experienced Software Engineering Manager who will lead & develop a team of software engineers at all levels. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you’ll join Bowery Farming at a critical point in our growth trajectory. You will be responsible for leading a team of talented software engineers who are a critical component to the success of how our high tech indoor vertical farms operate. Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms. The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix + Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We’re utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI’s.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and grow a diverse team of software engineers who create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming.
- Develop & inspire a team of engineers who will build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Work with Data & AI, Product, Hardware, Agricultural Scientists & Farm Operations teams to ensure we are building and delivering the best automated solutions for Bowery.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Lead in scaling systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who You Are
- You have experience leading & mentoring a team who can develop and scale production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You are a strategic thinker, both technically and for Bowery.
- You have strong people management, coaching, developing, mentoring skills.
- You have experience & focus on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion while hiring and retaining staff.
- You love to collaborate with both internal and external teams for building better solutions.
- You have experience building excellent engineering processes that adapt to scale.
- You have experience working in a startup/high sense of urgency, ambiguous environment & have strong decision-making skills.
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.