Senior Software Engineer – Frontend
Website BoweryFarming Bowery Farming
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About the Role:
This is an opportunity to join a growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation. You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms.
The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix + Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We’re utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI’s.
What You’ll Do
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Build, test, and maintain Vue components that are used across multiple applications.
- Have a leading influence in design and user experience.
- Develop systems to visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Optimize crop cycles and workflow schedules to improve yields and make the best use of time in the farm.
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
Who You Are:
- You’ve developed in production web applications using Elixir/Phoenix, Rails, Django, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- Strong proficiency with CSS and experience with CSS preprocessors such as SASS and LESS
- Experience writing robust maintainable code and making use of appropriate code quality tools (ESLint, Jest, etc.) and testing frameworks (Jasmine, Mocha, etc.)
- You proactively mitigate issues through writing robust tests, continuous deployment, and thoughtful application of monitoring and alerting.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.