Senior Mechanical Engineer, Thermal Systems
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The engineers at Plenty are revolutionizing the way humans grow food. We are seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer for our Thermal Systems team to help create the most efficient farms that the world has ever seen.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer on the Thermal Systems team, you will be developing the airflow systems which enable Plenty to grow the world’s best produce. And by engineering the most energy efficient systems possible , you will be helping drive prices to a point where our produce will be available to everyone. In this role, you will be part of a passionate and dynamic team that is developing new technology from the ground up.
Type of Role
What You’ll Do
- Lead farm airflow design using a variety of tools including CFD, CAD, prototyping and experiments
- Deliver airflow designs that balance plant microclimate requirements with CAPEX and OPEX
- Generate concept CAD to rapidly iterate through potential design solutions for ducts and supply/return placement within vertical grow
- Drive first-of-its-kind HVAC and thermal system design in an environment that values innovation and system design at the limits of physics
- Use lightweight 1-D models where appropriate, and know when to bring in the complexity of CFD analysis
- Develop and run airflow experiments to validate modeling results
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand the implications of modeling results and drive system level farm optimization
- Support HVAC system and equipment validation through comparison between modeling results and commissioning data
What We’re Looking For
- B.S., M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or similar (M.S. preferred)
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience designing and analysing parts using an industry standard CFD package (Fluent, Star-CCM+, OpenFoam or PowerFlow preferred)
- Experience using CAD tools to generate surfaces for analysis
- Thorough knowledge of the engineering fundamentals and the underlying physics of the systems you have modeled
- Deep intellectual curiosity and compulsion to understand the details
- Great communicator who can explain complex technical concepts to non technical audiences
- Exceptionally collaborative
Plenty is a new kind of farm for a new kind of world. We’re on a mission to bring fresh, local produce to communities everywhere in a way that’s better for the environment by using 1% of the water, 1% of the land, and none of the synthetic pesticides or fertilizers of conventional agriculture. Our local field-scale indoor farms are creating a healthier, more delicious and sustainable future.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.