Website Bowery Farming
About the job
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
Bowery Farming is seeking a Regional Quality & Consumer Safety Manager who will drive the implementation of the quality and consumer safety management system across multiples of our technologically advanced & industry leading farms. You will operate in a dynamic, growing multidisciplinary environment with operations, engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. You will lead multiple small teams of farm-based quality professionals for a subset of farms and you will report to the Head of Quality & Consumer Safety.
What You’ll Do
- Lead, coach and develop farm-based quality teams to execute the day-to day quality management activities across multiple farms (may be direct or indirect reporting line)
- Lead quality risk assessments and HACCP studies and develop mitigations as the foundation for consumer safety and quality
- Develop and write Quality Standards and Standard Operating Procedures to meet consumer safety, regulatory and comprehensive GFSI audit requirements
- Ensure regulatory compliance of Bowery Farm operations
- Guide cleaning & sanitation studies and validations and ensure Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) are robust and effective
- Lead external GFSI compliant annual certification of Bowery farms (SQF)
- Conduct pre-audits in preparation for external certifications and lead gap closures
- Participate in defining relevant metrics, building scorecards and designing, implementing and maintaining an automated reporting system with Bowery Technology team for securely recording and preserving required test results, audit findings and other data and information
- Collect, trend and analyze testing data in order to proactively identify quality & potential consumer safety gaps and develop plans to close gaps
- Select and manage relationships with external laboratory for microbiological testing and cleaning chemical supplier for cleaning and sanitation expertise
- Investigate and manage the Bowery Farming consumer and customer complaint process for all Bowery Farms
- Provide technical expertise to assist in the implementation of new products and processes at Bowery farms
- Participate in Quality Incident Management process (including recalls) providing guidance on action resolution, and the reporting and replication of lessons learned
- Provide training and coaching on quality standards and consumer safety requirements to the Bowery Operations team at the farms
- Promote a culture of world class quality assurance with consumer safety at the heart in a continuous improvement environment
Who You Are
- You will have relevant experience in quality, regulatory compliance, manufacturing or R&D in the FMCG, pharmaceutical or medical devices industries. Food industry experience is a bonus
- You should possess a HACCP, GFSI compliant auditor or PCQI certificate and be proficient in quality auditing (if possible)
- You are very knowledgeable of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP), and other relevant strategies
- You have a strong understanding of risk assessment-driven consumer safety plans, hazard analyses, testing protocols, and other controls
- You have a strong understanding of cleaning and sanitation concepts
- You are fluent with process control, data analysis and reporting
- You are able to lead independently in a dynamic startup environment
- You are able to independently identify improvement opportunities and activate solutions
- Able to travel between multiple farms as needed
Who We Are
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.