At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed scientist to join the AgScience Team. The scientist will be responsible for developing and maintaining a comprehensive breeding program and strategy to breed new vegetable varieties for the Bowery business. They will also be responsible for evaluating and screening germplasm options. Working closely with scientists and marketing, the scientist will provide data-supported recommendations to the Bowery business for low-cost, reliable, sustainable, and safe production of produce.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the use of cost-effective new technology to help develop superior and improved genetics to help keep Bowery out in the forefront with the varieties consumers demand.
- Manage and fully utilize the grow space at our R&D Farm to maximize improved new potential varieties that come out of the breeding program.
- Maintain all aspects of existing and future seed stock. From pure line selections to bulking up, maintaining, and harvesting inventory of pure seed stock.
- Develop and maintain roadmaps for breeding to meet yield and quality targets.
- Responsible for finding additional breeding material to help make the breeding program a success.
- Investigate and make recommendations regarding new technologies in molecular breeding.
- Analyze and scientifically assess plant breeding in laboratory and field trials and select the best varieties.
- Maintain detailed records throughout the breeding and variety development cycle.
- Keep up to date in the fast-moving area of science and translate ideas from scientific literature into new approaches to breeding problems.
Who You Are:
- You have a strong background in plant breeding, quantitative genetics, experimental design, statistical analysis or data science
- You can work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- You have a proven track record of impact from scientific research
- You are curious and innovative with the use of technologies in plant science
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.