At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking an Operations Supervisor who will oversee aspects of our daily growing operations in our indoor farms. Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team and one of your main focuses will be motivating, mentoring, and coaching your team to become the best operators they can be. To achieve this, Operations Supervisors are problem solvers who are able to Set Big Bold Goals, interpret data, and deliver business results. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. This role will be based at Bowery Farming’s newest state-of-the-art modern farming facility in Baltimore, Maryland (Nottingham area).
*This position will work on the night shift.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise an Operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding to harvest to packaging to cleaning, & delivery
- Onboard and train new hires
- Maintain overall responsibility for the performance of the shift, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and delivery
- Implement all SOPs and drive compliance with crop plans in partnership with the Senior Grower
- Plan shift and work schedules for all production staff on shift to ensure high efficiency & quality
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and Food Safety standards
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify production issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide safe working environment by maintaining quality equipment and enforcing adherence to developed work practices
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Promote a culture of world class performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Provide coaching, teaching, and mentorship to a diverse and engaged team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production software system
- Ensure all required KPI’s are met regarding facilities goals on safety, production, quality, and costs.
- Collaborate with leaders across Bowery to identify and understand operational opportunities for improvement
Who You Are:
- You have relevant years of experience in a leadership role in a related field
- You possess years of experience in manufacturing operations or engineering role with demonstrated ability to lead change
- You have a strong knowledge of warehouse management systems
- You understand Lean & Six Sigma process improvement techniques
- You have experience managing an OSHA compliance program
- You understand how to drive continuous improvement initiatives & culture
- You possess excellent analytical, problem solving, and superior management skills
- You are capable of strong mentoring and coaching to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- You have the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- You demonstrate excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- You are detail & process orientated
- You have experience with farming and growing operations, and food safety and production is a plus
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.