Website Sensei Ag
About the job
About Sensei Ag
Sensei Ag is a market-changing AgTech company aiming to solve global gaps and inconsistencies in nutrition, food safety, and food security through the transformative power of data. Guided by the capabilities and insights of our founders, technology entrepreneur Larry Ellison and Dr. David Agus, we design, develop and deploy cutting-edge agricultural technologies to build a better, more stable food supply that is capable of feeding our entire world nutritionally-relevant, delicious, affordable meals.
Everything we do is evidence-led, radically transparent, always enriching.
You can read our story here or see some recent press: Business Wire, Condé Nast Traveler
With expertise in seed science, indoor farming and nutrition, we know that to achieve global health and food sustainability, people must have access to fresh food that they want to eat. We unite plant science and the human experience to grow better food.
Bringing domain expertise in science and precision agriculture, the company’s core mission is to be a good farmer and grow a variety of sustainable, nourishing, accessible produce for all, pushing the limits to what food is currently available through CEA and establishing the Sensei Farms brand with customers and consumers. Environmental, climate, economic and market factors will inform the growing approach and subsequent R&D or utilization of the most appropriate growing structures, systems and technologies for the desired crops, location and commercial goals, commensurate with the corporate “buy, adapt, partner, or invent” hierarchy of technology sourcing strategies.
Sensei Ag’s unprecedented business and capital model, product suite, (consumer retail in-store units, seeds, software, robotics and indoor farms) and financing provide a unique environment and opportunity to shape the future of agriculture and tackle the CEA market holistically, not one segment at a time, to compete with conventional farming.
The Nutrition Scientist will guide the plant and produce roadmap, providing expertise by testing and commercializing new vegetable crop varieties and cultivars, increasing not only yield but also nutrition, flavor and shelf life. The Nutrition Scientist will report to the SVP of Nutritional Science and join the quest to grow more nutritious, delicious, high quality food with a robust the nutrition and flavor scientific strategy across the farms.
- Work with plant science team to assess needs and set the strategy for nutrition and flavor analysis
- Collaborate with plant science to develop crop-specific nutrition programs to optimize for plant health, yield, nutrient content, flavor and shelf life
- Compile and analyze results from plant tissue assays; execute bench-top experiments and formulation work, including nutritional and component analysis, specification writing, shelf-life studies, consumer studies and sensory studies
- Create methods, protocols and SOPs; oversee writing of reports summarizing results; identify areas for improvement in methods and procedures
- Keep updated and educated on relevant news, literature and findings in the industry, and help to maintain a knowledge base of relevant information
- Collaborate with commercial product team to establish and execute testing on customer farms
- Ph.D. Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Chemistry, Biology or related fields, including Plant Science, Plant Biology or Plant Physiology
- 5+ years of relevant leadership experience
- High proficiency in analytical techniques for characterization/differentiation and quantification of antinutrients, minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, amino acids, lipids, taste-related compounds, volatiles, and product shelf-life, especially via wet chemistry, microbiological assays, spectrophotometry, GC, HPLC, and ICP
- Demonstrated record of conducting research development projects either individually or in collaboration with other teams
- Experience in experimental design, statistics, data analysis and reporting
- Ability to connect scientific improvements with real-world commercial applications
- Experience with nutritional content of vegetables, leafy greens or fruits is strongly preferred.
- Experience in other controlled environment crops is desired
Traits We Value
- Appreciation for transforming health and the future of food
- Smart, not arrogant
- Humble and hardworking
- Entrepreneurial, not risk averse
- Kind and genuine
- Grit and lots of it
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k and FSA plans
- Cell phone bill reimbursement
- Flexible PTO, vacation days and paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.