Website LettUs Grow
About the job
As Mechanical Engineer at LettUs Grow, you will be a crucial member of our product team, specifically focused on designing and developing our vertical farming hardware.
You can expect to be delegated responsibility at an early stage and will have a real opportunity to progress as the company scales. This role is ideal for a proactive, passionate and hard working applicant who is keen to grow with an impact-led startup.
We look forward to welcoming you to our diverse team of horticulturists, growers, engineers, marketeers and operational experts, to design and build the next generation of indoor farming technology together.
- Improvement and simplification of existing designs with regards to cost saving, performance and aesthetics
- Design for manufacture of our vertical farming equipment
- Generation of manufacturing drawings
- Liaising with contractors and manufacturers in a professional manner
- Defining new product testing protocols
- Performing tests and collecting data on existing and new products
- Compiling bill of materials in an organised fashion
- Assembling our systems safely and in line with LettUs Grow health and safety protocols
- You’re a clear communicator who is capable of relaying complex engineering problems to your team, the company and customers
- You’re curious and possess a desire to constantly learn and improve. You are eager to pick up new skills and step out of your comfort zone
- You’re methodical, hard working and proud of the work that you produce
- We work together to achieve big goals. Sometimes you may need to drop what you’re doing and give your undivided attention to another project to help out your team. You are flexible and self-motivated to get the job done well
- You’re an open minded individual who enjoys working in a team. You listen carefully to others’ opinions and respond with care and respect
- You’re proactive, responsible and capable of owning your own projects
- You’re passionate about sustainability and have a genuine desire to design products that will have a positive impact on the world
What you need
- Mechanical engineering/ industrial design background or equivalent industry experience
- Experience working in a professional environment, not necessarily engineering specific
- Experience using detailed design and engineering analysis
- Experience using CAD (Solidworks preferable)
- A solid understanding of mechanical design fundamentals
- A knowledge of manufacture and assembly processes
- Open, honest and caring communication skills
- An interest in learning and carrying out practical, workshop-based tasks
- Experience liaising with customers and external suppliers (highly desirable)
- An interest in learning basic electrical, software and biological processes
- A basic awareness and/or understanding of coding. It’s a bonus if you are fluent in a software language
- Practical, hands on experience working in a workshop. Experience adhering to health and safety measures is a plus!
The position is full-time at 37.5 hours per week, based in central Bristol and will benefit from training and external mentoring. Salary will be competitive to match experience, with the benefit of employee share options scheme.
£25,000 – £30,000 per annum dependent upon experience, alongside a benefits package designed to foster your personal and professional development.
LettUs Grow is a fast-paced and environmentally conscious start-up based in the heart of Bristol. We design technology for indoor farms with the mission to reduce the waste and carbon footprint of fresh produce by enabling anyone, anywhere, to grow nutritious produce near its point of consumption.
We’ve developed innovative hardware and software solutions that combine efficient aeroponic technology with data collection, automation and operational insights for the farmers and growers of the future. We are scaling quickly to meet the growing demand for this trailblazing technology., LettUs Grow Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Living Wage Employer. We encourage individuals from all walks of life to apply for our positions regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, neurodiversity, and/or disability. At LettUs Grow we celebrate our differences and embrace what makes every human being unique.
LettUs Grow takes the safety of our employees very seriously and has implemented the necessary safety precautions in response to Covid-19. You will be given the necessary materials to work remotely as well as having access to our office, workshop and farm located in Bristol. This position will not be affected by any government issued lockdowns in response to the Coronavirus.
About LettUs Grow
Everything we do is impact-driven. We want to make a substantial positive change, not just through our products, but also in how we operate as a team. We are ambitious, responsible and caring, and bring these core-values into everything we do. This is clear in the way we approach challenges: we’re ambitious enough to run into a fair few, responsible enough to address them with innovative solutions and caring in our approach to solving them as a team, for the good of our planet and all the people that inhabit it.
At LettUs Grow, we collaborate across teams so you’ll have the opportunity to work with our team of plant scientists and engineers or to speak at public events with our communications team.
You will be working from our open office where hotdesking is encouraged, within our world-class horticultural research facility and/or in our engineering workshops and production areas.
At LettUs Grow we offer
- Flexible working hours. Whether your child’s ill, you’re waiting for a package or you have some deep-focussed work to do, we all need some time away from the office
- A living wage in line with our salary framework
- 25 days holiday a year (pro rata, plus UK public holidays), and we encourage you to use them all up! If you don’t, you can carry some over into next year
- Training and professional development: training courses, resources and conferences that help you learn and grow in your role and for your future
- A team of ambitious, open and impact-driven employees
- A newly refurbished, open-plan office environment and cutting edge research facility, complete with skill-sharing workshops and a ping-pong table
- The best coffee in town. We keep our team well fuelled with top notch coffee from a local supplier
- A subscription to Blinkist with access to an online library of non fiction reading and audiobook material
- Cycle to work scheme and an office bike repair station. Everything you need to keep you on the road from tools and parts to spare lights and a lock
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.