Website Square Roots
About the job
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. With production farms in Brooklyn, NY, and Grand Rapids, MI (with more to come in 2021!) Square Roots has a mission to bring local, real food to people in cities across the world while empowering the next generation of leaders in our industry.
We’re a young company (est. 2016) with the potential and ambition to change the food system in ways that are better for people and the planet as well as profits. Everyone on the Square Roots team—from farmers to software developers, from brand strategists to financial analysts—is ready to make a massive impact in controlled climate farming and the future of the global food industry.
About The Role
We are looking for an experienced Facilities Manager to fit seamlessly into our mission-driven, busy team. This hands-on position is responsible for managing our production facilities including installations, repairs, maintenance, upkeep of the company’s farming hardware systems and equipment, and management of our facilities team members. Qualified candidates are experts in mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems and are able to plan, manage and execute on multiple projects at once. The Facilities Manager will also be responsible for inventory and inventory management, permitting, as well as planning and scheduling routine work, including both short- and long-term projects.
Reporting to the Brooklyn Farm Manager and managing a small team of direct reports, the ideal candidate will have 2-5 years of technical facilities experience, 1-2 years of management experience, and is ready to lead in this position with enthusiasm, knowledge, a no-task-too-small attitude, and a “safety-first” mentality. Bonus points for facilities management experience in a controlled environment agriculture setting, e.g. greenhouse, hydroponics, aquaponics, or similar.
- Purchase, receive, inventory, & maintenance all farming equipment and supplies, including tools, parts, chemicals, cleaning supplies, & personal protective equipment
- Address & repair broken equipment & hardware systems with the health & safety of our team & crops in mind
- Ensure campus security and keep all farm facilities clean, organized, and in safe & working order in coordination with the Facilities Crew
- Implement & execute systems improvements as needed
- In partnership with the General Manager and People Engagement Specialist, ensure our co-located office space is clean, organized, and in working order, serving as the first line of defense for any office repair needs and communication.
- Manage, train, and develop facilities crew members as direct reports
- Be on call for in-person emergency repairs & maintenance as needed, which may include weekends, holidays, and severe weather events
You Have Experience With
- Working in a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment
- Repairs & maintenance in HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems
- Hiring and managing 3rd party contractors for work beyond your scope
- Administering and maintaining inventory management systems to manage supplies and materials needed to operate
- Managing and training direct reports
- Purchasing and reporting on a budget
- Familiarity with food safety best practices and chemical safety handling a big plus
- Able to identify technical issues and implement both long and short term solutions
- A project manager with the ability to switch gears quickly and address competing priorities efficiently
- An effective, professional communicator who prioritizes keeping your team informed
- A communicative, empathetic manager providing structure and professional development for your employees
- Able to commute to our Brooklyn campus during your work week and be on call for emergency repairs, including weekends and off-hours
- Comfortable standing for long hours & able to lift 50lbs regularly
- Passionate about tech-enabled future of farming
- Enthusiastic about adhering to and enforcing food safety & COVID safety protocols
You’ll Love Working At Square Roots Because
- We’re here to change the food system. You’ll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry – and we’re only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
- Benefits and perks, of course. We’re all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, equity in Square Roots, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. 🙂
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.