Website Square Roots
About the job
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. Our scalable “farmer-first” technology platform brings fresh, healthy food to urban areas year-round, while simultaneously training future generations of farmers. With production farms in Brooklyn NY, and Grand Rapids MI (with more to come in 2021) Square Roots has a mission to bring local, real food to people in cities across the world while empowering the next generation of leaders in urban farming.
We’re a young company (est. 2016) with the potential and ambition to change the food system in ways that are better for people and the planet as well as profits. Everyone on the Square Roots team—from farmers to software developers, from brand strategists to financial analysts—is ready to make a massive impact in urban farming and the future of the global food industry.
About The Role
We are looking for a motivated and proven sales leader to help build and lead the Sales team for Square Roots, growing our current business while creating a customer demand pipeline for future market expansion. This role will lead new customer pipeline strategy and acquisition as well as current customer management and growth strategy across all markets and distribution channels.
This role will report to the VP of Sales and Marketing for Square Roots and will be immediately responsible to individually contribute, and build a team to achieve our revenue goals, leveraging internal and external talent to do so.
This role will ideally be based in the Midwest, and will be remote to start. When travel becomes safe, the role will require up to 50% travel as needed for customer appointments and New York City HQ meetings.
- Support VP of Sales and Marketing to develop channel and customer strategy and execute immediately against current sales plan to increase revenue, improve velocities, and deliver profitable growth across all Square Roots markets, both current and future.
- Maintain and expand our customer base in retail and foodservice by strengthening relationships with key customers/external partners and identifying new customer/channel opportunities, continually tracking results to deliver against revenue goals with an ROI mindset.
- Strong focus in retail channels: Manage produce resets across customers to get maximum distribution on current items & innovation; build and strengthen customer relationships at the buyer/CM/director level with expansion to senior leadership to develop top-to-top opportunities.
- Onboard and manage relationships with external sales partners (distributors, brokers, merchandisers) to achieve revenue goals while setting objectives and monitoring performance.
- Work with VP of Sales and Marketing to hire and train Sales team members to create a high-performing, customer-centric team.
- Manage Sales budget and educate the organization on key aspects of current and new customer businesses to inform resource and budget prioritization.
- Develop demand forecasts and trade promotion calendars by customer to deliver accurate monthly forecasting to Farming/Operations teams.
- Partner with the Marketing team to create compelling, fact-based selling presentations for category reviews, develop and execute impactful shopper marketing programs at strategic accounts, align on pricing/merchandising guidelines for product portfolio, and attend trade shows (virtual and eventually in-person) to represent Square Roots and develop sales opportunities.
Your Experience Includes
- CPG field sales and account management experience required, 8-10 years of retail experience, foodservice and eCommerce experience a plus.
- Food category experience preferred, fresh category experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Established relationships and demonstrated success working with key customers and managing external sales partners servicing active and new channels (grocery, natural/specialty, independents, foodservice, eCommerce, mass/club).
- Negotiating terms and managing external sales partners required (distributors, brokers, merchandisers).
- Proficiency in understanding and creating actionable insights to drive customer/channel growth from syndicated POS and panel data (SPINS or IRI).
- Proficiency in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel) or comparable tools in Google Workspace
- Experience establishing CRM tracking and monitoring through a platform (i.e. Copper or similar)
Your Skills Include
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage strategically to reach overarching business objectives, balanced by strong detail orientation for successful execution.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written skills and ability to engage/present well with customers, external sales partners, and internal cross-functional team.
- Extensive experience creating strategy presentations, retailer sell-in materials, and bottoms-up sales plans/forecasts with little oversight.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with strong ability to coach and develop junior talent.
- Experience working in highly collaborative work environments, with an emphasis on leveraging internal stakeholder knowledge and building consensus to achieve the best outcomes.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and adapt work to various audiences in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Passionate about real, local food.
- A team player that likes to wear many hats.
- Comfortable in a flatter culture where you stretch up and down in your role.
- Excited to apply your CPG training to execute from day one, while building a customer-centric sales organization from the ground up.
- Highly motivated – Seek and share outside experience and inspiration to make our team and organization better.
- Located in the US Midwest.
- Remote to start, but able to travel up to 50% as needed for customer appointments and New York City HQ meetings – when it becomes safe to do so.
- Dedicated to COVID safety in all internal and external interactions
You’ll Love Working At Square Roots Because
- We’re here to change the food system. You’ll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry – and we’re only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working from home or in person on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
- Benefits and perks, of course. We’re all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible work life culture, equity, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. 🙂
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.