About the job
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…We are looking for a unique Data Scientist who will collaborate with people from across the business to solve our highest value operational problems. Your primary focus will be in translating business challenges into data challenges, applying data mining techniques, statistical analysis, and machine learning to solve them, and then using the solutions to drive changes in the real world. This is not your typical Data Scientist role. Analytical products will be required to be delivered on tight operational timelines. You must also be able to communicate the value of your work to different disciplines in order to embed your work in day to day operations.This is an exciting opportunity to be the first US based member of our growing Operations Data Science team. You will join our global community of data scientists and analysts, and collaborate with them as well as the US clinical operations team and product teams. You will solve crucial challenges in healthcare, drive key improvements in our operations, and help us build a world leading Value Based Care provider.
- Construct models and conduct deep analyses to solve key operational issues. This will involve mastering both the operational requirements and the deep, technical data science skills required to execute these operational needs.
- Forecasting patient demand for multiple services across the US and the wider world
- Predictive modeling for growth & expansion planning, referral and prescription services, contact rate and defect rate management and much more
- Understanding how users engage with our services and how this can optimized to meet their healthcare needs
- Supply and cost optimization
- Creating predictive tools to scale the impact of the data science team across the business
- Be the analytical powerhouse behind core operations projects (from origination to implementation) and create the required models and analysis to drive initiatives that are focused on
- Optimizing our processes and programs
- Cost and revenue optimization
- Product and engineering changes
- Redefining the healthcare experience for our members
- Expanding our available offerings and services
- Deliver excellent member experiences for patients and clinical professionals and our partners in care
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure that the results are received, understood and acted upon: help drive a culture of strong analytics and data-driven thinking across the business
- 2+ years of experience, with a proven track record of delivery on data science projects
- Educated to Bachelor or Masters level in a quantitative subject, or with equivalent industry experience
- Expertise using Python and relevant libraries (pandas, numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, etc)
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of machine learning and statistical methods
- Experience with, and solid understanding of, some specific models (for example logistic regression, kNNs, SVMs, Gradient Boosting) for commercial applications
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a non-hierarchical manner across multiple teams
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey complex information effectively to a range of audiences
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize
- Ability to take initiative in a constantly-changing work environment and adopt a generalist do-what-it-takes mindset.
- Knowledge of best practice software development processes.
Nice to Have
- Advanced degree (e.g PhD) in a relevant subject
- Deep expertise in statistics or a specific area or application of machine learning
- Knowledge of the Healthcare industry and the challenges it faces
- Working in a start-up environment
- Working with cloud frameworks, such as the Google Cloud Platform
- Using data visualization tools, such as Tableau, Google Data Studio or Looker
- Embedding models and dashboards in operations to inform real-time business decisions
- Working on short turn-around, analytical problems and building models and dashboards on tight timelines
- Deploying and maintaining models in a production environment
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.