About the job
The UNDP Global Centre for Technology, Innovation and Sustainable Development (the ‘Global Centre’) aims to identify, co-design and share innovative and technological solutions for sustainable development through catalysing new insights, partnerships and action on the ground in the countries where UNDP works. Our initial areas of focus are: Sustainable and Digital Agriculture, Sustainable Finance, and Smart Cities and Digitalisation. We aim to leverage expertise in Singapore, as well as across the network of 60+ new UNDP Accelerator Labs, and from experts and partners around the globe.
The Global Centre is a joint initiative of the Singapore Government and UNDP, currently being led by a small team that is focused on programme and partnership development – both with the public and private sector in Singapore and international partners, including the above UNDP network. Singapore Government partners include the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE), the Economic Development Board (EDB) and Public Service Division (PSD).
The Sustainable and Digital Agriculture team is focusing on supporting Singapore’s 30 by 30 agenda, and supporting developing countries all around the world to adopt cutting edge technologies aiming at improving productivity, efficiency, resilience and sustainability of the agriculture and food sector, resulting in improving food security.
In November 2019, the Cultiv@te programme was launched, a global innovation initiative that aims to find bright minds and creative entrepreneurs, startups and R&D teams from around the world to solve challenges in agriculture. After a call for applications over 15 weeks, we selected 31 teams to work with 11 countries to pilot these technologies and innovations on the ground.
Other than Cultiv@te, the Global Centre aims to promote the adoption of digital farming technologies in developing countries and explore opportunities in the areas of food traceability, food loss and waste management and urban farming. The team is thus focused on designing and implementing initiatives that drive these objectives and fostering partnerships that can support them.
Duties And Responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure continuation and smooth implementation of the Cultiv@te initiative, including country visits by the winning startups and pilot efforts with UNDP Country Offices;
- Shape any follow-up activities, including outreach, building off the work of Cultiv@te into 2021;
- Oversee the development and manage the publication and promotion of the knowledge product on ‘Precision Agriculture for Smallholder Farmers’;
- Oversee the publication and promotion of the knowledge product on ‘Blockchain for Food Traceability’;
- Support interested UNDP Country Offices, together with relevant partners, to implement pilots in the areas of precision agriculture and food traceability, using the guidance available in the above-mentioned knowledge products;
- Support the Centre’s communications team in ensuring visibility of the work on Sustainable and Digital Agriculture through the creation and distribution of online and social media content (including the ‘Digital Feed’ series) externally and within UNDP;
- Provide technical support services to UNDP Country Offices, regional hubs and headquarters, as needed;
- Support with partnership development in the agri-food tech space through identifying opportunities and establishing partnerships with private and public institutions, including within the UN family;
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues at the Centre to further integrate the work of this workstream together with the Centre’s efforts in Smart Cities, Digitalisation, and Sustainable Finance;
Institutional Arrangement/ Reporting Relationsips
- The Consultant will report to the Director, UNDP Global Centre, Singapore
Duration of the work
- The Consultant will deliver their responsibilities within the period from 20 January to 30 April 2021.
- This consultancy will be based in Singapore, with possible travel to field locations (field travel to be covered by UNDP). The Consultant will be required to use his/ her computer.
Ethics And Values
- Demonstrates commitment to the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Demonstrates and promotes the highest standard of integrity, impartiality, fairness and incorruptibility in all matters affecting his/her work and status.
- Promotes the mission, vision and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment understands the structure and hierarchy of UN/UNDP, process flows throughout the organization, products and services, their measures of effectiveness, and perceptions of clients;
- Excellent knowledge of development issues and internationally agreed development goals;
Working In Teams
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues inside UN/UNDP as well as its partners and other stakeholders to pursue common goals.
- Ability to work at ease in a multicultural setting.
Communicating Information And Ideas
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Delivers verbal/written information in a timely, clear, organized and easily understood manner;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to listen and take direction and leadership from others.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.