At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed scientist to join the AgScience Team. The scientist will be responsible for research and development that drives the commercialization of new products. Bringing expertise in plant physiology, horticulture, and controlled environment agriculture, the scientist will develop novel growing recipes and methods that enable the production of new cultivars in the Bowery growing system. Working closely with Scientists and Farm Manager, the Scientist will drive new scientific insights through rapid and iterative experimentation to create new value and market opportunities for Bowery.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and execution of experiments in controlled environments, pilot and production scale vertical farms with leafy and fruiting crops
- Data analysis and reporting of experimental results
- Communication of scientific insights to peers and leadership
- Integration of computer vision, sensing data and other experimental observations for new agronomic, biological and physiological insights
Who Your Are:
- You’re an expert in plant physiology, horticultural, or plant science knowledge and experiment
- You have a deep understanding of plant production systems in greenhouses, growth chambers
- You have the ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- You have a proven track record of impact from scientific research
- You are curious & innovative when using technology in plant science
Bowery’s headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.